Employment Guide | Working in NZ | Moving to NZ | Living in NZ | Helpful Information | Job Search


If you want to work in New Zealand, you will need to consider which work visa opportunity best suits you.

There are many types of work visas. Some are for short periods, of 1 to 3 years in duration, and are called temporary. Other visas are more permanent and even offer the benefits of becoming a resident. These are called resident visas.

If you are unsure about which visa is best for you, a brief description follows

Temporary work visas
Ideal for short term opportunities or as a starting point to experience life in New Zealand. This visa allows you to work in New Zealand for a set time period – usually granted for the length of your employment contract. This visa is great for anyone interested in short term work options in New Zealand with a job offer.

Working Holiday Visa
Perfect if you are under 30 and looking to travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months (up to 23 months if you are from the UK) The great advantage of a Working Holiday Scheme visa is that you can work, so you have the funds to do all the things you want during your time in New Zealand. You could work in a range of jobs, including hospitality, fruit picking in the sun or even a professional career job. It's your choice.

Work to Residence visas
Special categories to experience life in New Zealand where you start qualifying for residency from day one, so you can either stay for a short time or apply to stay for as long as you like.

Resident visas
For those who want to make New Zealand your permanent home.

Student visa
If you are enrolled into a qualifying course at a New Zealand tertiary institution, you can apply for a student visa. This visa allows you to study and to work up to 20 hours per week.